Here are some tips for giving an effective Survivor speaking engagement:
- Write your story out or having bullet points listed can be helpful
- Ask for details about the event and how the event will be run
- Speaking about your experience takes courage and can be mentally, physically and/or emotionally taxing. Make a self-care plan.
- Consider having a support person(s) attend the event with you to help be a buffer with the audience and to debrief following the speaking engagement.
- Have a plan for how to respond to disclosures by other survivors. If possible, have a number you can call for support, or person you can talk to afterward.
- Take the time you need after the event to debrief with a support person and recharge