Sometimes it can be difficult to understand why victims of domestic violence don’t just leave the situation. So why do they stay?
Victims of domestic violence often find themselves in complex situations that leave them feeling overwhelmed & confused. A victim will often stay in an abusive relationship because:
- They believe their partner will change
- They still love their partner
- They feel obligated to keep the family together
- They have been told that divorce is a sin or contrary to their faith
- They are financially or emotionally dependent
- They have a low self-esteem (feelings that they deserve the abuse, that no one else could ever love them, etc).
- They are afraid of what might happen if they tried to leave
- They feel that they have no other options